Started Jun 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,961Gear list
Like?
D800's are usually problem free
Jun 23, 2012

I have a D800 that was delivered June 14th. It has absolutely no issues with focus. I had posted before than 9 other cameras within my group of friends were also not effected, nor had any lock-ups occurred.

Now, after spending a week shooting like mad in NC, I've spoken to well known shop in PA (a friend runs that store) as well as discussing the issue with my buddy who is manager at a Best Buy in Ohio. In short there have been no issues reported. The shop in PA is aware of the web shatter about it and has checked some units with customers and all were perfect. Last week my father got his D800 which he's taking to Peru and again, no issues.

Overall, excluding the Best Buy, we're talking about more than 20 D800's purchased from Amazon and local shops here in NY, in PA and also in NJ with no problems. The units from Best Buy are excluded because all I know is that there were no returns for the AF issue. I'm not mentioning the name of the PA shop because I don't want folks bugging him for whatever reason.

I am certain that some D800's are effected, but my "known" sample base of D800's is spread out over several states and months. How could this problem possibly be common if not one unit is defective? Between my closer friends we're talking about 11 units now and we've all checked with fast wide angle glass.

I'm sorry to say that misery loves company and those with defective units make a ton of noise and then we get trolls on top of that. I cannot get over the AF of this camera, which is superior to the D700. Tracking ability is superb.

We're very glad we didn't wait!

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow