Started Jun 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chester S Parks
Contributing MemberPosts: 559
Like?
If your D800 hangs, try this and let us know what happens
Jun 23, 2012

I have been experimenting with my D800 and hangups. I'm not yet sure if it's a camera, lens, or combination of both.

First, I have found that my D800 only hangs when shooting RAW. If I shoot hi res jpg's, it never hangs. I only have a 24-120 3.5 and a 70-200VR lens that will shoot FX size. Anyhow here's what I found.

When shooting RAW and your camera hangs, without moving the camera, start moving the focus point around with the multi-selector button, while trying a shot after each move. I have found that the camera will fire when the focus point is moved to below horizontal, or right or left. Just pointing the camera down will also fire the shutter. For some reason the upper center focal points sometimes will not fire the shutter. It appears that some of the focus points are not working when shooting RAW. Then some times there is a noticeable lag if you hold the shutter button down. It will fire after sever seconds.

When it hangs, I always get an r13 on the right side of the viewfinder lower display. Does anyone know what this error message is? It is not listed in the manual.

Also changing the exposure from matrix to spot seems to reduce the number of hangups.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow