Started Jun 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,618Gear list
Like?
5D II bad AF - really? Are you kidding?
Jun 23, 2012

Yes - I know - I might cause the impression I am a 5D II praiser - I can live with this 'Writing on the wall'

After the 5D III was release virtually hundreds of people claimed that the AF of the 5D II is that bad that the keeper rate is improved so dramatically that the uplift in price is justified and almost no other camera on this planet can do it better - hm??

After checking the image quality of the 5D III and the D800E I decided that both are so insignificant in perceivable quality and that it would be the right time to invest in lenses instead of boring camera bodies that simply add monetary value to my camera bag.

Today I was on a local soccer game and just shot with my brand new 300 f/2.8 L IS USM II (some shots with the 1.4x Extender) at maximum aperture.

I know - some objects are not in move - most are - and I expected a output of maybe 20 to best case 40 % good usable images - following the bad reputation of the 5D II - I was wrong! I have to say that I almost hate soccer since it is the most boring game in the world for me but I liked the colors and the speed.

I produced some 500 images and some 25 to 30 are completely unusable because they are not sharp or the AF focussed on something I did not want - the others where brilliantly tack sharp and I hesitate to post them because I am not entitled to infringe the privacy of the kids playing but I decided to publish a few where more then one person is visible or only legs - just to give you an impression what the 5D II CAN do.

So if the 5D III is better - then I might get only some 12 bad images or what?

The keeper rate for publishing images is always lower then the shot images - sure but I was expecting a much higher bad content -

At the end I guess it's all about the right lens for the job.

For me the fuzz about the better AF of the 5D III is partly marketing, partly true and partly wishful thinking.

NOW BASH ME because I am not repeating the published majority

I might be tempted to spend more time on local soccer games and football or rugby games - looks like a new interesting option to get successfully great images - this was my 1st ever soccer shots and I like them - not as much as my other work I normally do but I strait liking them - obviously I've missed a lot not buing the right lens for this kind of job throughout the past years

just my 2 ct

-- hide signature --

isn’t it funny, a ship that leaks from the top

ISO 9000 definition of quality: 'Degree to which a set of inherent characteristic fulfills requirements'
I am the classic “Windows by Day, Mac by Night user'

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +10 more
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow