All this negative commentary on the 5D Mk III has become a joke!

Started Jun 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
NicholasS
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
Re: guess there are two types of people in the world
In reply to David Hull, Jun 23, 2012

I want to make it clear that I do not think the 5D Mk III is perfect. My original post was aimed at the insane irrational "pixel peepers" who would have us believe that the camera is no advance on the 5D Mk II. The other annoyance I have is that when I visit this forum there is almost always a post that is basically saying the D800 is so much better we must be insane buying the 5D Mk III.

All this is irrational nonsense and simply untrue!

I do not own a D800 and good luck to you if you do, but could we discuss Canon related facts on this forum? Also I do have some interest in the direct comparison between the 5D Mk III and the D800 but very few people own both cameras and basically the rest of the posts are from "fanboys" without any of their own data and a waste of time in my opinion. I did consider the D800 and I did look carefully for comparisons of the two cameras. Look at the 2 links below, the D800 is no stand out winner (these assessments seem more rational than many others).

Canon 5D MK III vs Nikon D800 with Nathan Elson (there are 3 parts to this watch them all) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omTo7UxbJX8

Canon 5D Mark III vs Nikon D800 Comparison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuozUxh_tOU

Importantly all comparisons need to interpreted with caution as I am certain that some websites have vested interests in one brand over the other (a "fan" base, advertising revenue etc).

If it happened I would enjoy improvements in the following areas (but they are not a priority for me);

1. More megapixels but I do not want larger file sizes and my computer (i7 MBP) needs to be able to cope with the files as easily as it does now

2. Increase in DR - yes this would be good but I will not be pushing the shadows!

Much more important for me (and what I got!);
1. Fast and accurate AF

2. Better high ISO performance (again I think it is a "real world" 2 stop improvement over my previous 5D Mk II)

Nothing is perfect and we should dish out and take criticism when warranted so I will conclude with my primary criticism of the 5D Mk III - CANON IT IS OVER PRICED (yes I bought it as I was going OS but it is over priced!). As I will probably buy the 5D Mk IV or V I do not want Canon thinking they can charge what they like as they will realize us 5D Mk III users are not "fanboys" but rational discriminating consumers.

-- hide signature --

Nick

NicholasS's gear list:NicholasS's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow