1D Mk III - What to look for?

Started Jun 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
tampadave
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
Re: 1D Mk III - What to look for?
In reply to anthhope, Jun 23, 2012

I would echo what the others say about the lower S/N. I just bought one with S/N 528xxx. I "assumed" with this camera being so old the seller would have long ago sent it in for one of the Service Notice repairs. And it was advertised "perfect working condition." Well, guess what. My 1D3 can't focus to save my life. I called Canon to get a repair history on my copy and learned it had never been sent in for repairs. Canon agreed to take it in under the service notice at no charge. It is still there. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they can repair it. Also I might add, the seller has been great in keeping in touch with me and has agreed to take it back if it can't be repaired.

So, to make a long story longer, I suggest getting a higher S/N copy with a return policy if it turns out to not work. A low shutter count would be nice. A recent trip to Canon for cleaning is a plus. All accessories nice to have. If you want to get a really low price and buy a low S/N copy then at least call Canon for a repair history on the S/N. If it has already been fixed by Canon, they may not fix it again for you for free if you get a bad copy like I did.

I don't have a 50D so I can't do a comparison for you. Good luck.

tampadave's gear list:tampadave's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow