O Fujifilm, Fujifilm, wherefore art thou Fujifilm?

Started Jun 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?
O Fujifilm, Fujifilm, wherefore art thou Fujifilm?
Jun 23, 2012

Has Fuji dawdled too long (since last year) getting the X10 into serviceable condition? Even now some owners feel that the revised sensor compromises the image quality of its modest resolution sensor, and now several relatively small, inexpensive new cameras with fantastic image quality are available from a dealer near you. Here are some of Kirk Tuck's impressions of his new 'toy' that with lens included, costs only $97 more than the X10 and does so much more.

LOCAL PHOTOGRAPHER STUNNED BY IMAGE QUALITY OF DIRT CHEAP CAMERA!!!

The sensor's triple strengths are: Very wide dynamic range. Incredible resolution and very nice color.

If you happen to be a rank amateur you'll likely find the menu and GUI un-threatening. There are lots of consumer touches like a guide menu and a dial with lots of pictograms to walk you through the process of taking photographs.

You should see the full res files at 6000 pixels wide. You should see the dynamic range and, did I mention that the camera sells for $700 with a lens?

Put this camera on a tripod, use a remote release and focus carefully, via live view, and this camera will do landscapes and urban scenes and studio work as well or better than anything short of a D800. And haven't we always been saying that it's the image quality that really matters?

. . . you can use the camera like a mini-view camera, put it on a tripod, shoot at 100 ISO in raw and exactingly process the files in Lightroom 4.x and you'll get stuff that looks amazing. No more excuses for bad work just because you don't have the budget for a $3K or $4K camera body. This is another step in the ongoing democratization of photography.

Full manual exposure control video. Fully manual audio gain control with meters. 1080i at 24 and 30fps. 20 full minutes of recording. A stereo microphone jack in the standard size...(hello Panasonic! What's with the 2mm plug?) So how does it look, file-wise? Pretty damn good. Finally, a camera with manual controls and a really good file that I can afford to hand to a teenage video producer without cringing. They tend to be tough torture testers of gear.

Pop a Rode stereo microphone in the standard hotshoe (Hello Sony !!!!!) and you're ready to go out on your ENG quest. Beats the crap out of my Canon 7D that couldn't do manual audio....

The camera is small, light, quick to operate and gives you incredible files. It's $600 cheaper than an Olympus OM-D with lens. It's $1300 cheaper than a Sony a77 with lens. And if you use good glass with the camera it will run with the big dogs and you'll never be able to see a real difference unless it's the extra 8 million pixels you get when weighed against the Oly, or the extra half stop or more of low light performance when compared to the Sony.

Am I going to sell off everything I own and buy nothing but Nikons? Again? Nope. But it sure as hell makes a great point and shoot camera. I'd take it over a Canon G1x any day... And keep an extra $100 in my pocket.

Who should get this camera and lens? Your friend who is just getting into photography. Your son or daughter going off to school who's ready to leave the limitations of their cellphone camera behind. People who are both methodical workers and also in need of great image quality. Someone who wants to start a photo and film company with no discernable budget. And people who want a great, light weight, walk-around camera with good battery life and access to an ocean of lenses.

A great, 24 megapixel sensor, good performance and great files for next to nothing. Moore's law comes to photography again. What will they do next year?

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.ca/2012/06/first-look-at-nikon-d3200-kirk-tuck.html

With its huge 24 megapixel sensor, the entry-level D3200 instantly becomes the highest-resolution APS-C DX format Nikon DSLR, and it offers more pixels than any competing manufacturer too. Compared to the 18-month-old D3100, Nikon has managed to simultaneously increase the pixel count by a massive 10 megapixels and yet still maintain similar quality at higher sensitivity settings, which is no mean feat. An improved movie mode with greater control over exposure and sound, an expanded Guide mode and simpler controls for beginners, more connectivity options and a better LCD screen all add up to the best entry-level Nikon DSLR that we've ever reviewed.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/nikon_d3200_review/conclusion/

Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow