Have E-M5 JPGs rendered RAW obsolete ?

Started Jun 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
JosephScha
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,210Gear list
Like?
Re: Do you really want to start another jpg vs RAW discussion ?
In reply to JosephScha, Jun 22, 2012

I decided to post an example. Today I went out (between rain showers) at about 6PM, under heavy clouds - it was fairly dark - to take a picture of a flower that just opened this morning and had raindrops on it. I was shooting Raw + JPEG fine. The luminance histogram showed I was well away from the right side, but after shooting (and rushing back indoors as the rain started up again) I looked at the color histograms it was clear that the red had saturated. As a result, red intensity was reduced relative to green and blue, making the flower too orange.

In ACR, I reduced the exposure 0.45 stops and then cranked up "recovery" to pull the red away from the right side. THIS is the right color. I don't know how I'd do that with a JPEG.

BTW: shot at ISO 800 with a DMC-G10. ACR does a good job with luminance noise reduction, too.
--
js

JosephScha's gear list:JosephScha's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
F noNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow