Started Jun 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pstasiewicz1
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
Anybody moved from Sony to Nikon?
Jun 22, 2012

I'm a Sony user (a700) who is making the upgrade to FF. Really debating whether to wait for the a99 or switch to the D800.

I have no doubt that the D800 will be the superior camera in may respects, but there's one situation that is important to me where I think the Sony may retain an edge, and hopefully there's somebody on here who will have made the transition, especially from the a900.

The question is really, how has the loss of in-body stabilization affected your shooting?

Obviously this question is not relevant to landscape shots on a tripod. But where I'm really hoping for an upgrade in my equipment is in low-light, indoor shots where I'm not able to use a tripod. The a700's high ISO performance just isn't in the ballpark for what I need. Clearly the D800 will dominate. But am I giving away that increase in performance if I'm using a non VR lens?

Any other thoughts relevant to the transition also welcome.

pstasiewicz1's gear list:pstasiewicz1's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 50mm F1.4 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +1 more
Nikon D800 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow