Started Jun 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
elliotn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,017
Like?
D800 - AF issues worse than expected
Jun 22, 2012

I picked up a D800 a couple of days ago but only just got round to exploring AF accuracy. (UK purchase, serial 6025xxx)

I had read of a number of people having problems, but foolishly thought that Nikon would have started checking their cameras before dispatching them from the factory. Clearly not.

My problem seems worse than what others have described in that:

• It's not just a solitary focus point that is mis-focusing, and not just the leftmost focus point. I'm finding that several of the left and right focus points that are failing to acquire accurate focus (the lens back-focuses in all cases). (Centre AF point is spot on.)

• I was hoping that focus errors would be masked when the aperture was closed down to my normal working apertures (f4, f5.6), but I still see a significant focus error at these apertures; enough for me to say that these focus points are unusable in my normal working conditions (so if I focus at 6ft, the actual focus is at 7ft).

(Tested with a D800, 28/1.8G, from f1.8 to f5.6. I'll do some more rigorous testing over the weekend. Can anyone recommend a good focus test chart I can download and print?)

Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow