canon L lenses on nex?

Started Jun 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,648Gear list
Like?
re: important (crucial even) omission
In reply to jpr2, Jun 22, 2012

jpr2 wrote:

• so the ability to focus wide open, and yet to shoot with the iris closed down only at 1/2-press, according to our needs available for the EF L-s (through electronically controllable aperture adapter) might be vital enough to warrant looking beyond FD/FDn options :P;

You know, six months ago I would have agreed with you... but not after moving from a NEX-5 to a NEX-7. Many fast lenses suffer a focus shift upon stopping down; it is really nice to be able to position the DOF to precisely cover the desired portions of the scene. There is also the awkwardness, which I've complained about before, that framing in bright daylight with an f/1.2 lens wide open blinds a NEX -- especially bodies that start at ISO 200 can't gain down enough.

• esp. if one already has a gearbox full of EF -s :),

Fair enough. However, if you're that enamored of EF lenses, why not use the Canon body that you probably already own to let them be fully functional? In addition to supporting autofocus, doesn't a modern Canon body even correct for various optical defects of lenses it recognizes?

Fortunately for me, the only Canon EF lenses I've tested were cheap lenses (e.g., kit zooms) of sufficiently poor IQ to make the choice to abandon them very easy.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow