How long can wireless router antennae wire be?

Started Jun 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?
Re: How long can wireless router antennae wire be?
In reply to KennethKwok, Jun 21, 2012

KennethKwok wrote:

I have poor reception for my home wifi at home.

Unfortunately this is a common problem. But, solving it is not going to be easy.

Considering you have an 802.11n router it operates at both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, and probably uses one antenna for transmitting at 2.4GHz and one for receiving. The remaining antenna may be dedicated for 5GHz or shared for transmit or receive, hard to know since I can't find any overview on how the antennas are used on that model.

Thus, putting a higher gain antenna on one of the SMA's is not going to be much help. You're much better off trying to get the unit up as high as possible and as close to the receiving units as possible.

As mentioned in the thread it's also worth checking if the channel you're using is used by other nearby routers. Your router will also cram out double channels to ty to increase speed, and you should turn that feature off to increase stability.

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow