Started Jun 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tony
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
Seeking Advice for Disputing Nikon Service Repair on 24-70 F2.8
Jun 21, 2012

I've been happily shooting with my Nikon 24-70 F2.8 lens for the last four years. A month ago, it developed the dreaded stiff to turn zoom ring problem. I sent the lens to the El Segundo, CA Nikon repair facility expecting it to be repaired under warranty. However, I just received the repair service notice that they assess there is impact damage and will cost me $550 to repair. What baloney! This lens has been well taken care of and used under very normal care. There is not even any cosmetic scratch on the lens.

This is their repair assement verbatim: "Impact damage, zoom ring very tight and difficult to turn. Zoom CK AF & Zoom Mount Dmg'd-cleaning."

I called the customer service line to dispute this and the service rep said that she will ask the tech to send pictures of the damage to me. I want to know how I can dispute their assessment when I know absolutely there has been no abuse or damage impact to the lens. I have researched around the internet and have found the stiff zoom ring to be a common issue with this lens. Nikon must know there is a design or manufacturing flaw. Any advice for dealing with Nikon service repair will be greatly appreciated!

Tony's gear list:Tony's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow