Started Jun 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
primeshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,933
Like?
New D800 and New baby!
Jun 21, 2012

Initial thoughts? No focus issues (tested at 24mm far left and right both in good focus, along with centre). I hope this relieves some folks; I just received camera today and it's from a late batch. If you read this forum as I have the last few days you would think every camera has a focus problem. I agree it exists but I think some people are testing incorrectly, but I do not doubt it exists. Anyway, this thing is just a machine, the resolution is mind blowing you have to shoot with it to really believe. I used to shoot with a 700 however this feels like a whole other level of detail and capability. Focusing is harder, by this I mean nailing your technique. I consider myself having damn good focus technique as I enjoy shooting very fast primes but even I have been getting a good few that aren't in perfect focus due to the resolution (it's a little frustrating but I'm starting to improve already - alot of the time I've using AF-C and holding AF-ON whilst I press the shutter incase of subject to camera distance changes ever so slightly and interferes with focus). Even played with the movie mode which I thought I'd never use but finding it alot of fun and my wife loves that I am doing videos of my son, they look like they where filmed using proper broadcast cameras, it's actually quite easy to pull focus manually after some practice and you can get a couple of tools to help you if you want. The important thing here is it is nice to have the ability.

First things I did when I got the camera was set it how I wanted it and how I've always shot. One of the first things is turning off the high iso NR (you can't stop it above 1600 but if you select off you get minimal). I was blown away by the detail retained and this method means I can decide if I want to rid any noise. When I took the shot below to test this I processed it in lightroom and applied absolutely no noise reduction. Looking at it 100% on my monitor uncompressed it looks incredibly detailed. The shot below is just an impromptu shot of my 6 month old son, it's incredibly detailed considering the challenging light in the room (it was even a touch darker than the photograph) at the time and ISO 1600. Bear in mind it's heavily compressed and at f/1.4. Can't wait to fire off shots at ISO 100 and take it out landscaping.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow