Regular MemberPosts: 178
Like?
Re: You dont need Sony-Exmor tech to have clean shadows
In reply to schmegg, Jun 21, 2012

schmegg wrote:

gigamel wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You only photograph grey cards????????
ALL your pixels are exposed to 18% middle grey???????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ALL normal images contain a variety of grey levels!!!

Take a look at your histograms!!!

DOHHHHH!!!!

Gee. What a mature response!

Umm ...

Yes - I expose my images correctly so that the subject is not 4 stops under. In fact, most of my histogram that encompasses my subject is usually well toward the right hand side.

Seriously - take a look at the DPR RAW images. The difference is marginal at best. Pick ISO100 and use your anal abilities to look into the very shadowiest bits. There is SFA difference. Please don't make me post the crops and make you look even more ridiculous than you already do.

You are attempting to create an issue where none exists. And it's falling flat with all of us that have actually held a 5D series camera in our hands and used it to create images (something you quite obviously haven't done).

Do you seriously think that ALL pixels in a "correctly" exposed image will have the same SNR as a 18% grey card????

The whole point is that the shadow parts of the image are NOT exposed to 18% - hence have WAY more noise like in the OPs example - do you get it now?!!

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=41837825

The SNR at 1% is

5D3 24 dB
D700 27 dB
D800 27 db (1 stop better than the 5D3)

All at the pixel level (!) making the D800 pixel just as good as the way bigger D700 pixels and both a stop (3 dB) better than the 5D3 at 1% gray

The SNR at 0,5% is

5D3 19,5 dB
D700 23,5 dB
D800 24,5 dB (nearly 2 stop better than 5D3)

The SNR at 0.1% is

5D3 6 dB
D700 10 dB
D800 15,5 dB (3 stop better than 5D3)

The SNR at 0.05% is

5D3 0 dB (noise and signal are equal)
D700 6 dB
D800 12 dB (4 stops better than the 5D3)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow