Why the fixation on ISO Noise Comparisons as of late?

Started Jun 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ptl-2010
Regular MemberPosts: 274Gear list
Like?
Re: Why the fixation on ISO Noise Comparisons as of late?
In reply to Thesorus, Jun 21, 2012

High ISO noise performance is a very important thing to people who shoot in low light, and also to consumers.

If you shoot in dark conditions all the time, having a fast lens is nice, but a high shutter speed may be needed too, or you may need a wide depth of field, and the only way you can do that with the camera itself after you've maxed out your lens is ISO.

For consumers, this also allows you to use kit lenses in not-so-ideal situations and still get good results.

Image quality and build quality don't seem to be much of an issue anymore, most all of today's DSLRS are built very well and have sensors that perform wonderfully. AF systems, lens options, and ISO performance are some of the technical things that can still differ greatly between cameras in a similar price range.

Personally, ISO performance is very high on my "need" list for a new camera body. It will allow me to continue using my kit lenses for everyday photography, which I do a lot of.

-- hide signature --

-Paul

ptl-2010's gear list:ptl-2010's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow