EF 40 STM - my 1st impressions (sweeet) ;-)

Started Jun 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,587Gear list
Like?
EF 40 STM - my 1st impressions (sweeet) ;-)
Jun 21, 2012

Since I am mostly interested in the best you can get it was a real surprise that the 40 mm pancake drew my attention. Clearly it is not the best lens on this planet

(this should be the 300 f/2.8 II I recently bought)

BUT I was missing a nice and small and good enough walk around lens. I like primes especially due to the smaller form factor. The 40 mm STM is simply a very appealing package and the idea of a 40 mm f/2.8 lens is nice - much cheaper then the 24-70s and much smaller too.

Today I received my copy and while my lunch break I went out to a local castle to do some pictures.

All pictures are modified and optimized the way I normally handle files - yet there was no distortion correction done. Some are vertically shifted (with LightRoom) to compensate for the tilting of the lens.

Have fun

1st impression is: not only good enough but really nice - much better then my Sigma 15-30 mm at 30 mm and probably better then the 17-40 at 40 mm (test vs the 17-40 will follow this weekend)

-- hide signature --

isn’t it funny, a ship that leaks from the top

ISO 9000 definition of quality: 'Degree to which a set of inherent characteristic fulfills requirements'
I am the classic “Windows by Day, Mac by Night user'

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +10 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
moreNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow