Why I don't post photos just for the 'heck of it'.

Started Jun 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mostly Lurking
Senior MemberPosts: 2,102
Like?
Why I don't post photos just for the 'heck of it'.
Jun 21, 2012

The rare times I post a photo is to illustrate a point, as I've just done with my viewing distance thread. Here are some of the reasons why I don't post photos just to share them.

1. I can't post full size quality copies: uncompressed 16-bit color Adobe RGB TIFFs.

2. The sRGB color space used for the Internet and by virtually all computer monitors has a much smaller gamut (number of colors) than Adobe RGB, so converting them for the 'Net and your monitors causes a color accuracy loss. (Not converting them would cause even greater color inaccuracies.)

3. I can only post photos that are in the .JPEG format, which is a compressed format causing further quality losses.

3. The .JPEG format only supports 8-bit color, and conversion from 16-bit color causes another loss of color accuracy.

4. I get 'wise-guy' comments, like the one I just got: " . . . doesn't even look like a photograph." I consider them 'below the belt' and an insult.

I certainly don't mind getting comments indicating that they don't care for the subject, the pose, the style, etc; and I certainly appreciate getting constructive comments such as 'you might have . . .', and 'have you tried . . .' I disregard inane comments such as 'your photo stinks because it's too sharp / too dark / etc.

'Regardlessly', regards to all!

-- hide signature --

William Wilgus

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow