Started Jun 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,754
Like?
In Defense of Depth (TOP)
Jun 21, 2012

Funny how the same arguments keep budding across sites. There must be a reaction against the new foolishness of those unaware of the trade. Just to quote the concllusion at:

ttp: theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2012/06/in-defense-of-depth.html

"Now there is one problem, or let's call it a challenge, when you no longer have masses of blur to hide behind. The deeper the focus, the greater the compositional demands. Not only do you have to press the button at exactly the right moment, but your camera needs to be in exactly the right place when you do. Arranging all those in-focus elements into coherent form makes for a real-time, four-dimensional exercise in which millimeters (or at least inches) can make all the difference between no shot, good shot, and great shot. But that's another topic in itself.

Meanwhile, I don't want to step on any toes. If your idea of photographic fun is ultra-fast lenses and gnat's eyelashes of sharpness against fields of gloriously abstract blur, go for it. As millions have evidently discovered in the past few years alone, it's an easy way to make images that can be very pleasing in their own fashion. Just don't be surprised if some day you look back on all that shallow-focus work and find yourself wishing you'd paid more attention to the third dimension. And don't ask me whose old photos I was looking at when I first began to realize that for myself.".

Probably wasted breath on the affluent that pester this forum with their ostentation of wealth. Seems that their lifestyle allows them only to live in a bubble of private bokeh. Perspective a dirty word.

Once upon a time there was something called the Farm Security Administration photogs who did pictures to show reality as it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farm_Security_Administration

http://www.google.it/search?q=Farm+Security+Administration+photography&hl=en&client=safari&rls=it-it&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=v_biT8S1HcjJsgb8_KXCBg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Where are those guys, now that there is a second, deep slump?

Am.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow