16MP vs 24MP comparison, continued.

Started Jun 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
philbot
Contributing MemberPosts: 832
Like?
Re: Upscaling a 16mp image to 24mp
In reply to Robsphoto, Jun 21, 2012

Robsphoto wrote:

That response takes me back to the days when I was studying research methods, when about 30 people in a class could all look at a common problem in a different way! Unfortunately, you can't physically change the length of cars when you are looking at them, even if you can do this by imagination!

In assessing both the A55 and the A77 to my requirements, I want to not only compare images of equal size, but I also want to compare the unscaled images, so I can see for myself just how much noisier (if any) an unscaled A77 image is in comparison with an unscaled A55 image.

So, if this was a "proper" research project, you would be comparing 3 files, the unscaled A55 image, the unscaled A77 image, and the downscaled A77 image. IMHO, to compare just 2 files is incomplete research and just part of the story (but I don't mind if other people see the problem differently and are happy to compare just 2 files)!

The difference of 'opinion' is probably because to me this isn't a 'research project' it's more an engineering project, we aren't trying to research things we don't already know..

We already know what to expect, how things degrade, how they tend to being identical at high ISO, etc, etc..

You seem to be approaching this from a blind analysis, i.e. assume nothing is known, and do a simple matrix of tests..

And that could be the difference in engineering, there are so many tests you can do to characterise something for comparison, the key is to pick the most meaningful..

At extreme ISO, we know it's really about sensor size, when it comes to 16/24MP, the image 'information' is much less then both, so comparing at 1:1 has extremely little worth.. No one disputes that it isn't valid, there is a difference. We expect that if viewed at different sizes, the 24MP sensor will look worse to the viewer , and if viewed at the same size will look almost identical..

So I'm also intrigued as to why you are pushing this type of comparison so strongly? You clearly believe it has significant worth, so surely you can tell us? A few of us seem to have a reasonable grasp on engineering and science to the point I'm sure you can explain it so we'll understand.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow