Own E-PL1: Any Reason to Consider E-PM1? Locked

Started Jun 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
This thread is locked.
larrytusaz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,202Gear list
Own E-PL1: Any Reason to Consider E-PM1?
Jun 21, 2012

I have & use the Olympus E-PL1 as a portable DSLR of sorts when I don't feel like lugging around the Nikon D5100. I replaced the original 14-42mm with the II MSC version. Basically I'm happy with it.

That said, I've noticed quite a few people selling E-PL1 bodies saying they replaced them with the E-PM1. I guess maybe the E-PM1 is more portable? I am wondering if there could be something gained by my doing so. I figure the image quality is the same, thus:

Pros
Smaller
Larger LCD
Faster focusing(?)

Better video? (when I use it on my E-PL1 the files are HUGE vs my other 720p palm recorder, as the E-PL1 uses motion JPEG the "palm" recorder uses H264 saved as MP4)

Cons
Lack of mode dial (I'm almost always in aperture-priority anyway)
No built-in-flash
Goofed-up default noise processing for JPEGs
Lack of hand grip

'

Of course the E-PL1 is cheap & off the charts bang-for-the-buck wise, but I'm starting to see E-PM1 bodies showing up cheap (even saw a KIT for sale for only $210, it's gone now). So I'm wondering if there would be any benefits to "side-grading" from an E-PL1 to an E-PM1.

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +2 more
Nikon D5100 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow