All this negative commentary on the 5D Mk III has become a joke!

Started Jun 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NicholasS
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
All this negative commentary on the 5D Mk III has become a joke!
Jun 21, 2012

I do not understand all these now irrational and incredibly negative comments on the 5D Mk III.

Yes - it is over priced!

However, my new 5D Mk III is a distinct improvement over my previous 5D Mk II. Images are creamier, sharp and the focus is spot on as well as being unbelievably fast. There is at least a 2-stop improvement at high ISO (I now shoot with the 50mm f1.4 at ISO 6400 and it looks great).

I handled a D800 again last week and to me it is not as comfortable and the focus has a noticeable "jitter" at the end when locking on (not so with my 5D Mk III) and from what I have seen on the web the pictures to me do not seem any better (I prefer Canon skin tones).

When I take a picture (in order)
1. Subject
2. Composition
3. Light
4. Focus accuracy
5. Bokeh
6. Colour accuracy

49. More pixels to work with (after all I do like to view my 5m x 5m images at a distance of 15cm?!). Some of my best pictures are 8Mp (how is this possible?!) and I lust after the D1X at 18Mp and Fuji X-Pro 1 at 16Mp not the D800 (what is wrong with me?!)

190. Pulling the detail out of the shadows (I mean really, this looks so un-natural?!)

As a photographer maybe I am in the wrong place?

With half the threads on this forum I just dont get it with this irrational bashing of the camera.

I own a 5D Mk III and would like to learn how to better use it. Amazingly I am very happy with the camera (again I must be delusional!).

I seem to lack the same skilful interpretation of pixel count and "clean" shadows that other people posses...

Seriously there are some great videos on the Canon DLC web site if you are interested http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/eos_5d_markiii_tutorials.shtml

Nick

NicholasS's gear list:NicholasS's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +6 more
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D1X Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow