Re-post, GXR + VC Heliar 15mm - Osaka castle grounds...

Started Jun 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
lenseye
Regular MemberPosts: 424
Like?
Re: Re-post, GXR + VC Heliar 15mm - Osaka castle grounds...
In reply to Gary CG, Jun 21, 2012

The VF-2 is essential! These days I can't do without it! While it should be a LOT better than what it is... it does the job once you lower your expectation. I don't seem to be able to set the right diopter setting on it though, even at best it looks funny! Oh well...

Also I am not very impressed with GXR ability to meter in low light situations in which I use the camera often! Once even a I started one of the longest threads on it in this forum... lots of unpleasant postings... in low light situations you HAVE to switch to manual mode as the meter won't register change even if you alter aperture/ISO all over... Ricoh said that's the say the camera is designed... I said whatever!

The selling points for me are the excellent user interface (fonts specially) and the lack of AA filter on the A12 M-mount which results in very sharp images if you know your focusing techniques... not trivial and takes good practice! Once you nail it though, you end up with incredibly sharp photos every time!

Also based on my experience, best to stick with M/L mount lenses as use of others through adapters while working well, don't work incredibly well! Adapter tolerances play a huge part even with the same manufacturer! I am beginning to think the M-mount has been best optimized for angles at which the light rays through an M/L mount lens hit the sensor. Even Ricoh only lists M-mount Leica lenses tested with the M-mount in their literature... anything else for me is a bonus...

Enjoy your new camera!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow