ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nikhgan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,551
Like?
New finding: D4/D800 left AF issue not an issue at all
Jun 21, 2012

Some new findings...

The left autofocus point problem on the D4/D800 is not really an issue at all because the issue existed long time ago, even in the previous generation of the D3/D700 bodies. It is just that no one writes about it.

This is how I found out.

I was thinking of whether the D4 is worth keeping due to the left auto focus point issue since I already have the D3s. So I decided to test my D3s before I let go of the D4.

To my surprised, the D3s exhibited the same problem. Not just that, it is even worse than the D4. I tested many lenses, including 14-24, 24-70, 24-120, 28-300, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm.

On both bodies, only the 14-24 seem to have this problem, all the other lenses works perfectly fine or the issue is not noticeable or gradually goes away as you increase the focal length.

If you have a D3/D700 body and the 14-24/2.8 lens, I believe you will see the same problem.

So, what would I do now?

I will definitely keep the D4. It is an amazing camera. I rarely use left AF point with my 14-24 anyway, that's why I never noticed the problem. If it didn't bother me, I doubt it will.

Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow