Started Jun 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gmac68
Regular MemberPosts: 109
Like?
trouble focusing with GH2 and 100-300
Jun 21, 2012

When I use AFS and the smallest spot focus, my GH2 tends to focus on the background behind the subject. Any ideas? It isn't usually easy to correct with manual focusing on live animals that won't stay still and in fact flee from you after a second or two. Sometimes I have to search for something else to focus on, just to get it to "find the range" before it will even remotely focus on my subject. I really don't believe this was a problem when I first got the lens.

Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?

Some examples, not enhanced:

I focused fully on the birds face or chest. Seems to me the wooden house face is what is actually in focus. I was leaning against a rail, and the bird wasn't moving. Speed seems fine. OIS was on but seems a focus spot issue to me.

The camera is as likely to focus on the far away background as the bird. My target is in focus but using it as an example as I might need to focus on the tree trunk nearby first with auto focus to get the range before it will then pick out the bird. Even though the bird fills the entire focus square, even overlaping somewhat.

Here focus seems OK but again to use it as an example, the camera on all the other shots, focused on the twigs behind the hare. I tried to focus on his ears, with them fully spliting the focus square in half and the camera simply refused to focus on the ears.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow