Started Jun 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mostly Lurking
Senior MemberPosts: 2,102
Like?
Viewing Distance
Jun 21, 2012

Although we've at least 'danced around' viewing distance, I don't recall that any of us have discussed the subject in any sense other than 'pixel peeping'. I welcome you to share your thoughts on that----and the photo itself. I'll include mine after the photo.

As I'm sure you're aware, you can left click on the photo to view it in larger sizes, and to view /download the actual pixels version (which some of you refere to as 100% crop), click on the parenthesized "Original" at the top of the gray border.

For those of you who don't know how to 'pixel peep', download the 'original' and then view it at over 100% of actual size. (You can go to 1,600% in SPP's 'Review' function.) If you like a challenge, this photo does indeed have some 'warts'. See if you can find them.

'Snapshos' aside, I believe every artist and photographer has a viewing distance in mind when he or she makes a painting or produces a print. Although this photo isn't a 'snapshot' (of Uncle Ralph and Aunt Maude), at the size first presented it's essentially a 'snapshot' size and should be viewed at 'reading' distance. Click on it once and it approaches a 'normal' 8 x 10 print size and should be viewed from a bit farther back to see the photo in its entirety. Click on it again and it's starting to exceed that 8 x 10 size and should be viewed from farther still. Click on 'Original' and it starts to become 'living room size' and should be viewed from farther again. (If you hadn't noticed, this is not the full photo, just a crop of it.)

As for the warts, one of the things I'll tell you now is that the focus was less than perfect and I sharpened it a 'fair amount'. If you look in the right places, you can see the defects that caused or enhanced in the actual pixels view.

For those who might be curious, I shot this a few years ago at Florida's Black Prong Equestrian Center, and the date and time are wrong.

Regards!

-- hide signature --

William Wilgus

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow