Started Jun 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tomtom50
Senior MemberPosts: 2,384Gear list
Like?
RX100: 20MP too much? RAW Comparison
Jun 21, 2012

There is a lot of debate whether more MP hurts DR or increases noise. Leaving this aside I hope we all agree thet the point of more pixels is more resolution.

Does the 20MP RX100 resolve better than the 14MP G1X? Let's see.

To check this I used RAW with NR off to remove resolution loss caused by the jpeg engine. I chose ISO 100 for top image quality.

RAW files were downloaded from Imaging Resource. To get the RAW files go to the review, and on the Samples tab click the Thumbnail index page link.

Here are two crops converted from RAW with no sharpening and NR off. Brightness, contrast, and other settings were default so they differ (RX100 default contrast is higher, for example), but these settings do not affect resolution:

RX100 ISO 100 NR off, converted from RAW using Sony Image Data Converter

G1X ISO 100 NR off, converted from RAW using Adobe DNG Converter

The results are very close, but a close look shows the G1X has an edge. In the lower right the individual lines of the scale are visible from 75 - 80 for the Canon and 70 - 75 for the RX100.

In short, the RX100 could have been 14MP without reducing resolution or image quality. I suspect Sony knows that 20MP markets better.

tomtom50's gear list:tomtom50's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS M Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony Alpha NEX-3N
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow