EM-5 DR good, but still not good enough

Started Jun 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
WT21
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,609Gear list
Like?
Re: Huh?
In reply to Onabeach, Jun 20, 2012

It can be done automatically, but it's likely to look like garbage. Heck, most manual HDR looks like garbage. What pp is, is making a human judgement on how something should look.

Onabeach wrote:

I think its a fallacy that the eye constantly adjusts while scanning across a scene. If I look at the blue sky, and then look down at the scenery below it, the sky doesn't suddenly turn white.

People keep saying that Raw pp is relatively easy to do and that's the solution to my WYSIWYG desire, and I agree with that. What I keep wondering about is that, at least in the blue sky goal, its a matter of lifting the shadow detail in the raw file. I assume (please correct me) that this is a basic function found in any pp software that can be done rather quickly. If its simple enough to do on a basic computer, why cant this simple computational task be included in the camera's processor? Yes, the computer is much more powerful, but its doing a whole bunch of other things besides lifting shadow detail.

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow