From 40D to... 7D?

Started Jun 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
sagebrushfire
Regular MemberPosts: 262Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you, Steven.
In reply to dantor, Jun 20, 2012

dantor wrote:

Thank you, Steven, for your thorough comparison list between the 3 cameras.

I am most attracted to the 7D. I don’t shoot videos, and although FF is tempting, the added weight and the loss of crop factor when shooting birds prevent me from going FF at the moment.

The extra pixel resolution and vastly superior high ISO performance will probably more than make up for the crop factor. You'll likely be able to crop closer than before and shoot in more varied lighting situations so I wouldn't let the crop factor difference keep you from going FF.

Crop factor doesn't improve lens lens resolution either so even though you're cramming more pixels into a smaller space, you may not actually be getting significantly more detail. I think high burst speeds and the ability to use much higher shutter speeds will make a bigger difference in helping you capture birds (which are far more interesting when caught in-flight anyway).

-- hide signature --
 sagebrushfire's gear list:sagebrushfire's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow