Forum ProPosts: 12,436Gear list
Like?
Re: 85mm f1.4G or 1.8G for D800(e)
In reply to harold1968, Jun 21, 2012

harold1968 wrote:

I have heared mixed views on this lens, particularly from D800 owners
The MTF curves look good on photozone at f8 and f11, but not below

whats your view about sharpness ?

Hi Harold. I probably wouldn't purchase the 35 f/2 today. I bought mine years before the 35 f/1.8 DX came out and before the new 35 f/1.4 G came out obviously. At one time, it and an 85 f/1.4 AFD were my walk around lenses on a D80 or D200. I'd put one on the camera and one in my pocket for walking around while Jan shopped or something.

I didn't notice really that my 35 f/2 was soft wide open. I also didn't care as it was close enough in the center and that was good enough. It was the best of the wide AF primes at the time.

As time past, I read reviews and listened to others so retired that 35 f/2 to the closet shelf. About 6 months ago, I decided that though I loved the 16-35 f/4 and the 35-70 f/2.8, for some reason neither was perfect at 35. Again, me listening to people and reviews probably. Anyway, like you I look at my old 35 f/2 for landscape use and i also had a wonderful B+W polarizer for it and a nice set of ND grads that did nice on it. The reviews like Photozone showed it almost comparible to the new 35 f/1.4 at f/8. It showed it a little better than the 24-70 f/2.8 at 35 f/8. So, I took it out of the closet and put it back in the kit. I'm loving it for purely a landscape lens but again, maybe other uses. I just have to ignore the naysayers and reviews at other apertures. Mine seems sharp no matter what I do. We'll have to see on the D800 this weekend maybe.

Here's an old shot using that lens at f/2.8. The building seems darn sharp to me.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig

Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow