5d Mark III low iso poor performance.

Started Jun 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
scott_mcleod
Contributing MemberPosts: 936
Like?
Re: 5d Mark III low iso poor performance.
In reply to Ogjetaknight, Jun 20, 2012

Ogjetaknight wrote:

carlk wrote:

It seems the one who has it doesn't like it. The one who doesn't have it likes to have one but only if it's free.

Ferrari_Alex wrote:

This comments is strange. For 3500 usd you can have it. But what is wrong with the fact that somebody is reporting an issue with the canera? Does it mean you need to pay crazy money and be super happy with everything you get, even if it has issues?
Strange logic

Ogjetaknight wrote:

If you don't want your 5d3 I'll take it.

I do have one and it exhibits none of what the OP claims.

I also have one and it does really mess-up shadows at low ISO... but... only sometimes . Other times there is virtually no trace of the vertical pattern noise even when pushed. It appears completely random, which drives me nuts. And it disappears as the ISO is raised (due to the unpredictability of the effect I can't say exactly when it goes away for real but I haven't seen it at all at 1600 and beyond). If there was some way of knowing what shooting sonditions triggered this phenoenon it would be pretty easy to stay away from, but there isn't, so I can't (yet).

The best thing I've found to prevent/greatly reduce it is to shoot at integral multiples of what appears to be the true base ISO of this sensor, 160, i.e. 160, 320, 640, 1250. Beyond that it doesn't matter; 1600, 3200 and 6400 seem fine.

Regards,
Scott

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow