Started Jun 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dark goob
Contributing MemberPosts: 944
Like?
Using a generic "multi-charger" with OM-D battery
Jun 20, 2012

I notice the OM-D battery has no less than 5 terminals, which are labeled +, -, I, S, and T. I see the camera only has three connections for +, -, and T, whereas the Oly charger connects to all five.

Now I have a trusty 3rd-party "multi-charger," which shows between one to four bars as it charges the battery. This thing hasn't seemed to ruin any of my other "intelligent-type" Li-Ion camera batteries. It seems to charge them just fine I've had success using it with Canon 5D III batteries (LP-E6), and the ones for my NEX-7 and A77 all charge fine.

But considering that OM-D batteries cannot be replaced, and considering I've never seen any battery with FIVE terminals, I figured I'd ask if anyone has tried his. I did put it on for an hour (I was in a pinch) and it seemed to work fine. The second time Input it one, I accidentally hooked up the charger to the + and I terminals instead of + and -. It went to four solid bars pretty fast, then I realized the problem and yanked it. I hope I didn't corrupt the battery's internal chips.

I then put it back on the Oly charger and it seems to be happily charging.

So I am just wondering what these various terminals are for, and whether using a "multi-charger" in an occasional pinch poses a risk to the battery or even the camera somehow -- and if so, why? Or are these simply "proprietary" measures to make it hard for 3rd-party companies to copy the batteries?

Obviously it's not a good idea to hook up the multi-charger to the wrong terminals! I think I fried a Panasonic battery doing that one time, but I appear to have dodged a bullet with the Oly one today (seems to be fine).

Canon EOS 5D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow