lowpine
Forum MemberPosts: 97Gear list
Like?
Re: gh2 etc question
In reply to Pete Berry, Jun 20, 2012

Pete Berry wrote:

lowpine wrote:

Hi,

I've got the GH2 and have been trying to get the ETC mode to work in photo mode. From other posts, it seems you need to have the 1.1 firmware, set the capture to jpg (not raw), within the menu set 'tele convt' to yes, and select size M or S (not Large).

Even when I make all of the settings as above, I'm not getting the ETC magnified view.

I must be missing something, any tips?

thanks,
Steve

In stills mode, it is equivalent to a digital zoom crop, and gains no resolution as file pixel dimensions are reduced. It's only operative if you select JPG-Small (no RAW allowed) file size for a 2x mag., or Med. for somewhat less.

Video mode is where ETC really earns it's keep, as the 2mp 1080x1920 file size in 1080i AVCHD mode remains the same, but instead of binning pixels across the full sensor to reduce to the 2mp, only the central 1080x1920 area is used for a 2.6x lossless true gain in resolution and mag. - or 3.9x in 720p AVCHD or JPEG - a fantastic deal that can transform your 25mm/1.4 into a 65mm/1.4 or 97.5mm/1.4 depending on video mode. Extraordinary! And unique to the GH2 AFAIK - only lossy dig. zoom for the rest.

Pete

I'm not sure about that, I was under the impression that it worked the same way for stills and video. I've seen sample pics from the etc stills and they don't appear to be of the digital zoom, ie pixels not enlarged. Besides, if it's nothing more than a digital zoom, why have the tele convt feature sitting next to the digital zoom feature?

Regardless, I'm not able to see any appreciable difference in the image when setting the tele convt to ON. I've got the one setting (SH on burst) to verify still.

thanks,
Steve

lowpine's gear list:lowpine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow