dishwashing liquid soap safe for cleaning optics?

Started Jun 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
MirekE
Contributing MemberPosts: 894
Like?
Re: dishwashing liquid soap safe for cleaning optics?
In reply to MirekE, Jun 20, 2012

MirekE wrote:

EOS_GUY wrote:

Yesterday I accidentally touch the rear optics of my 85mm 1.2L, first I tried to wipe it using pecpad lens tissue with distilled water but still it smudges, second I tried isoprophyl alcohol but still I can see marks then lastly I tried water with a little of dishwashing liquid soap and viola no more marks, crystal clear! Is it safe to use dishwashing liquid soap in cleaning lenses?

I would never use dishwasher detergent on lenses. Here are some of my reasons:

• We do not know what exactly is in them

• Dishwasher liquids are alkaline, therefore chemically reactive

• Dishwasher liquids contain dissolved solid chemicals (phosphates?, chelates?, wetting agents?, anti-foaming agents?) and can leave residue on the lens

I breathe on the lens and wipe with a microfiber or cotton cloth. If that does not help, I use Eclipse sensor cleaning fluid (alcohol with no residue) and sensor cleaning pads.

Oops! I did not read the initial post properly. I was talking about dishwasher detergent, not dishwashing detergent. I would not use dishwashing detergents either, but I am sure they are much milder on the lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow