dishwashing liquid soap safe for cleaning optics?

Started Jun 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
MirekE
Contributing MemberPosts: 820
Like?
Re: dishwashing liquid soap safe for cleaning optics?
In reply to MirekE, Jun 20, 2012

MirekE wrote:

EOS_GUY wrote:

Yesterday I accidentally touch the rear optics of my 85mm 1.2L, first I tried to wipe it using pecpad lens tissue with distilled water but still it smudges, second I tried isoprophyl alcohol but still I can see marks then lastly I tried water with a little of dishwashing liquid soap and viola no more marks, crystal clear! Is it safe to use dishwashing liquid soap in cleaning lenses?

I would never use dishwasher detergent on lenses. Here are some of my reasons:

• We do not know what exactly is in them

• Dishwasher liquids are alkaline, therefore chemically reactive

• Dishwasher liquids contain dissolved solid chemicals (phosphates?, chelates?, wetting agents?, anti-foaming agents?) and can leave residue on the lens

I breathe on the lens and wipe with a microfiber or cotton cloth. If that does not help, I use Eclipse sensor cleaning fluid (alcohol with no residue) and sensor cleaning pads.

Oops! I did not read the initial post properly. I was talking about dishwasher detergent, not dishwashing detergent. I would not use dishwashing detergents either, but I am sure they are much milder on the lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow