Zuiko 75-300mm OR Lumix 100-300mm for the OM-D?

Started Jun 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Arun Vajpey
Regular MemberPosts: 100
Like?
Zuiko 75-300mm OR Lumix 100-300mm for the OM-D?
Jun 20, 2012

I recently bought the Olympus OM-D camera with the FL-600R flashgun and 4 lenses - the 12-50mm kit lens, 17mm Zuiko pancake lens, Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 lens and the Zuiko 40-150mm R lens. I want to complete the collection by adding a long zoom.

I am looking at 2 options: Olympus' own Zuiko 75-300mm lens and the Panasonic 100-300mm micro-fourthirds job. On paper the Panasonic wins by a mile by being some £200 (around $300) cheaper in the UK, having better aperture range and possibly better build quality.Also, unlike the Olympus lens, the Panasonic comes with a lens hood and case as standard. I am not bothered by the extra weight of the Lumix or the lower end of the zoom being 100mm rather than the Olympus' 75mm because I already have 40-150mm coverage.

However, I want to be sure that by going for the Panasonic rather than the Olympus, I am not missing anything out functionally. Is the AF as good on the Panasonic and is there anything else that might be compromised?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow