Nokia 808 PureView vs. Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5: "The 808 can replace compacts"

Started Jun 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ChinaM43User
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
Re: Nokia 808 PureView vs. Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5: "The 808 can replace compact
In reply to Infms, Jun 20, 2012

I am starting to put together a more and more complete picture of this cameras performance with each review.

-I am actually very surprised that the 808 was able to beat the LX5 at higher ISO (although, the canon s95 and s100 also beat the lx5 in the same sort of test).

-The white balance seems worse than the N8 from what I have seen, and being cooler than the LX5 under similar conditions isn't good in my book, as the LX5 already tends to choose a quite cool white balance compared to most other cameras (and since the camera is jpg only, this is not fixed as easily as on the Raw capable LX5).

-The amount of detail at low ISO is phenomenal, better than any other compact camera I have seen.

-Even though a lot of detail is lost at higher ISO, I am amazed that there is still pretty good detail and low noise (when downsampled)

-The lens performance at 28mm seems better than most compacts (maybe not surprising since primes are often better than zooms, lens is made by Zeiss, etc., but when you consider the small lens size it is truly amazing)

-No comparisons exist yet, but I have a feeling that even zoomed in to around 50mm equivalent focal lengths, this is still going to be able to beat a lot of compact cameras in the image quality department

I am not ready to put down $700 dollars for a camera that to me is just a little bit better than the LX5/XZ1/S100 (as I don't care about the zoom too much), but when this reached the $400-500 dollar price point, I will probably get one (it is already around 600 USD on the grey market).

ChinaM43User's gear list:ChinaM43User's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow