What is a good upgrade from the D90?

Started Jun 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,067
Like?
Re: d90 has more pixels than D600 in DX mode?
In reply to Stuart001, Jun 20, 2012

Stuart001 wrote:

TFergus wrote:

FourBeer wrote:

nfpotter wrote:

It's so funny that people ALWAYS consider FF an "upgrade". It's not, if you're shooting anything at a distance.

Wouldn't it be an upgrade? The sensor is larger, thus the pixel size is larger, thus less noise?

Way better with noise, better IQ, better DR, better body, way faster performance, working AF...etc, etc, etc.

Oh, yeah, I forgot - better noise (the D7K and D700 and VERY VERY CLOSE, and the difference between DX and FX gets closer with every new generation), "better IQ" which is COMPLETELY SUBJECTIVE, better body - eh, D700 and D300 pretty damn close, and what about the whiners that complain about weight (not me), and faster - yeah I should hope so, duh. My D7K's AF work VERY well.

Of course it's an upgrade.

(His anger management therapist hasn't gotten to the part about allowing others to have a differing opinion yet).

Couldn't agree more. If FF wasn't better at just about everything, professionals wouldn't use them. You can use a D7000 with a 400mm for wildlife photos or a FF with a 600mm. Pro wildlife shooters use MF with the right lenses. More expensive, sure, but the result is better.

Strap that 600mm on DX and you've got 900mm through quality glass.

That is hilarious. SOMETIMES pros shoot FF for wildlife. Quite commonly, though, they use a crop factor camera for the extra reach. Thom Hogan, for example. Check it out. Many, many others. They'll take a D3-something, and a D300, etc. I'm not making it up, read or ask some pros.

The arguments nfpotter keeps making reminds me of the old tailor's saying, 'Never mind the quality, feel the width!'.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow