When are we getting SEL3518?

Started Jun 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,695Gear list
Like?
Re: When are we getting SEL3518?
In reply to Mark_McD, Jun 19, 2012

Mark_McD wrote:

My thought (and hope) is that the "fast normal" on their roadmap will be a 35mm / f2 or faster. My guess is it will be f1.8 but wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be anywhere between f2 and f1.4.

I'm hoping that based on the SEL50F18 it too will have OSS, but it's all conjecture.

The "fast normal" could realistically be anywhere from 28mm to 35mm, but given the close proximity of a 28 to the CZ 24mm and the Sigma 30mm, I imagine it to be 35mm, which is what most consider "normal" for APS-C (and given their verbage of other lenses, like the SEL50F18 being called a "short telephoto" lens, showing they're judging by FoV with respec to the sensor size / APS-C).

I expect it will be a modernized derivative of the SAL35F18. Not a stellar lens, but quite acceptable. Would be a winner if it had OSS. Check Photozone's comment:

• http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/646-sony35f18dt

• "It may surprise you but regarding the sum of its optical qualities it is actually a better choice than the "mighty" (albeit outdated) Sony 35mm f/1.4 G - Sony's professional grade full format 35mm lens. The AF performance of the new SAM drive is pretty decent and we didn't really experience any issues with AF accuracy during our field testing. The cost-cutting measurements are fairly obvious on the mechanical side - it's a "plastic-fantastic" lens which feels a little cheap unfortunately. However, technically this doesn't limit its capabilities and the low pricing may ease the headaches in this aspect a little."

Fwiw, the SAL is 'plasticy', but so are all SAL lenses. The SEL lenses do have a better feel.

Optically, the SAL is scoring 'mid-pack'?

Compare to the infamous SEL16F28 (on a Nex-5 - for comparison)

The SAL50F18 gets a little more out of the corners (out of the Nex-5):

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow