35mm as 50mm equivvilant

Started Jun 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,941Gear list
Like?
Not true
In reply to blue_cheese, Jun 19, 2012

blue_cheese wrote:

The whole point of the equivalent concept is to prevent photographers who have started with photography in the "good old days of 35 mm film" from learning new things.

Thank you for grounding this disussion back to normality. The crop factor discussion is an insult on people's intelligence leads to exactly the type of misunderstanding seen here. Converting to a 35mm equivalent is exactly for the single reason you posed above. Why would you care about the 35mm FOV and not micro 4/3 or P&S or medium format... heck i demand all cropped fotos have their effective focal length recalculated

I disagree - an understanding of equivalence is very important if you want to shoot both formats at the same time, or are moving from one format to another and want to use the same lenses on both formats.

If one format or the other (aps-c or FF) went away completely, then you'd have a point, but while we have multiple standard formats that use the same lenses, you need to understand equivalence - or at least the FOV part of equivalence.

--
Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow