Started Jun 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timothy Davis
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?
First Impressions of NEX-F3
Jun 19, 2012

Just got the NEX-F3 in black from Best Buy. Nice.

It is pleasing to the eye even before you start taking pictures. The relationship of the body to the 18-55mm kit lens is just right. The camera body on the F3 is flat, thin, plain, a minimalist dream. The photos I've seen in reviews don't quite capture the sleek look it has. It's not a chunk.

Ergonomically, the body is an excellent fit in my hands. The grip is just right. Looks good. Feels good.

The new articulating screen design is actually just fine for me. I have held it overhead like you would do at a concert and the slight downward tilt in actual practice is more than adequate. Reading the reviews led me to believe this might be a deal-breaker. But when you hold a camera overhead for a concert type shot to get above the heads of the crowd, the camera is actually out in front of you, not straight up. And I'm actually glad to get the 180 degree option as a bonus.

It's nice to have the built-in flash. Plus you can gently pull it back to give you adjustable bounce! It will point straight up to the ceiling, or anywhere in between. It would have been nice if it would lock in at the vertical position so I don't have to hold the flash back with my finger while I take the shot. But it works.

I'll probably get an external battery charger just because that's the way I like to do it. Out of the box you only get charging via USB cable with the battery still in the camera. You can't power-on the camera while it is plugged in to the wall charger.

There is a "Clear Image Zoom" digital zoom feature which doubles the zoom of your lens. It may not be as good as the real thing, but it's there and it works pretty good.

I am looking forward to saving up some cash to get the electronic viewfinder. I like that it accepts that option.

This is my first chance to play with a camera with an APS-C sensor as opposed to all my point and shoot experience. I'm anxious to see what I can do with it.

Tim

Sony Alpha NEX-F3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow