Disneyworld, any tips on how to take decent pics of the fireworks?

Started Jun 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ptl-2010
Regular MemberPosts: 274Gear list
Like?
Re: Disneyworld, any tips on how to take decent pics of the fireworks?
In reply to themaverick, Jun 19, 2012

You can do this a few ways.

One way is to shoot with a sort of slow shutter speed, like 1/15th or lower, which will give you a bit of a trailing effect, but not too much.

You can also leave the shutter open from launch to completion (one firework) and capture all of the action in one frame.

I've tried both, and I use them in different situations. If I'm just capturing the explosion in the sky, I like to freeze it a bit with just short trails. If I shoot wide and get the ground in the shot, the long exposure method will give your camera time to capture light for the ground and all of the action from the firework.

here is a sample of the long exposure method

and here is one of the shorter exposure method

For either one you should get a remote shutter release, you will have to use a cable one as the IR sensor for the wireless ones is in the front of the camera and you'll probably be sitting behind the camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Remote-Shutter-Release-Canon-Rebel/dp/B004FL0V9A/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1340126150&sr=1-4&keywords=shutter+release+for+canon+t3i
--
-Paul

ptl-2010's gear list:ptl-2010's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow