Fishing for suggestions on new Aperture setup...

Started Jun 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mccamera
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Fishing for suggestions on new Aperture setup...
Jun 19, 2012

Hi all.. I'm a new Aperture user and am slowly working through the tutorial in the Aperture 3 book that was suggested numerous times here.. Great book so far! Anyway, I've currently got my photos organized by year for the most part and am wrestling over the best way to organize them inside Aperture (using managed projects -- not referenced). To that end, I've got slurped in about 6k photos so far in a combination of DNG, NEF (Nikon) and JPG from older cameras, iPad, iPhones,etc. I am currently thinking of still having year-based projects (e.g. Year-2000, Year-2001,etc) and then once the individual images are tagged property, creating a bunch of smart folders to allow sub-grouping within the individual years (e.g. trip to Colorado,etc).. However, this isn't always the best as occasionally you may have trip that spans the year and may be is in Year 2000, and Year 2001.. I should note that I occasionally photograph odd stuff for my own personal records -- for instance if something is being donated to the Salvation Army, I take pictures in the off chance the feds decide to ping me about what was donated.. So, in this case I might need some sort of smart folder that can span numerous projects over the years - IF I wanted to see all donated items for instance.

So, in your humble opinion, what is the best way to organize photos within a Managed Aperture setup? I'll admit that I'm wrestling a bit with this decision and thought it might be best to ask you experts!!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow