My D800 focus points have a mind of their own, do yours?

Started Jun 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Al Giordano
Contributing MemberPosts: 905Gear list
Like?
My D800 focus points have a mind of their own, do yours?
Jun 19, 2012

This is getting creepy (pun intended). My focus points seem to be moving on their own. At first, I thought it was just my stupidity of doing something during handling of the camera, but after a few incidents, I started paying closer attention.

My work flow generally includes turning on the camera, composing using single-point focus, using the AF-Focus button to focus, pressing the shutter release and if satisfied with the shot, I actually turn the camera off. I power off to conserve battery power, prevent accidental parameter changes, shutter releases, etc....

I find the next time I turn the camera on to shoot a photo, my focus point has moved off-center always to the left!!! If I do this several times, the focus point seems to move further to the left.

Since I turn the camera off when I put it in the bag or on my shoulder, I can't be hitting the focus wheel and moving the focus point. Furthermore, I usually have a hard time half-depressing the shutter release, moving the focus wheel until the point moves back to center. This is not very intuitive for me. So I know I'm not moving the focus point intentionally.

Is there some sort of focus tracking going on? Anyone else have mysterious moving focus points or is it just me???

Al Giordano's gear list:Al Giordano's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +10 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow