X-S1 Disappointing.... but is it that bad?...maybe

Started Jun 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
Edgar Matias
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?
Re: X-S1 Disappointing.... but is it that bad?...maybe
In reply to Rachotilko, Jun 19, 2012

Rachotilko wrote:

What a humiliating end for the large bridgecam category. I doubt anyone will produce anything like that anymore. I am saying this despite the fact that I still strongly believe in the bridgecam concept.

I suspect that a lot of people who have bought bridgecams in the past, are now buying low-cost APS-Cs with kit zooms -- which were much more expensive a few years ago. Joe-camera-buyer, who just follows the advice of the sales person at Best Buy, is likely being steered away from bridgecams now (if they're even on the shelf).

Most people (DPRers included) judge the camera by its sensor size. Put the X-S1 up against something as small as a Sony RX-100 (with a larger sensor) and you think, why so big? They'll miss the subtle nuance of why.

BTW, I have browsed the (interchangeable) lenses database here on DPR today. I was especially interested in universal, "superzoom" lenses, to see how good one-lens solution can you make out of a DSLR. I was quite surprised with the IQ being so dissapointing, even when used with excellent bodies such as Canon 7D. In order to make the concept work, you have to close the apperture (& raise the ISO) quite a lot, negating the shallow DOF & low noise advantages of the DSLR.

Yes, I think interchangeable zooms really only deliver the goods if they're on FF cameras, or if you pay an ungodly sum for something like an Olympus Zuiko 14-35mm f2.0 or 35-100mm f2.0. For APS-C or smaller, you either want primes, or the lens built-in like the bridgecams.

So, dear digital camera manufacturers, bring us manually zoomed, 1/1.7-2/3 sensored bridgecams back. I am not really interested in buying overpriced superzoom lens for DSLRs.

My guess is you'll either have one camera model left serving everybody in the category (and it's more expensive), or bridgecams will disappear.

Edgar Matias's gear list:Edgar Matias's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Apple iPhone 5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow