Started Jun 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dominic G Smith
Regular MemberPosts: 229Gear list
Like?
BBC Photograph Requests
Jun 19, 2012

What is it with the BBC. They are asking people to submit their 'Best' photographs to them which might be used on their website and on TV (with a credit where possible.) There T's&C's are as follows;

'In contributing to BBC News you agree to grant us a royalty-free, non-exclusive licence to publish and otherwise use the material in any way that we want, and in any media worldwide. This may include the transmission of the material by our overseas partners; these are all reputable foreign news broadcasters who are prohibited from altering the material in any way or making it available to other UK broadcasters or to the print media.'

Why is that organisations this large which could easily afford to pay for each photo used want to have it both ways. They get a free photo and then any money they make selling it on to another party they keep. Absolutely nothing for the photographer who might have spent thousands of pounds on his gear.

This are why photography is completely undervalued by the general public, most of whom do not have a clue as to the amount of time, effort and skill that goes in to taking GOOD photographs.

At an Event recently we had 4 girls who were all going to but a print each. Then one of them (in front of me) blatantly said, 'no, just buy one and we'll get it scanned and copied.' When I pointed out that this was actually illegal, she stared at me blankly. I then launched into a little diatribe about how if everyone did that then I couldn't make a living and it would end up with no one covering events. I was actually about to refuse to sell the pic at all, when thankfully the other girls saw reason and said they wanted a proper print.

Oh well, so much for a career in this business.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow