Everyone is a pro photographer (apparently)

Started Jun 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
Pbestwk
Regular MemberPosts: 363
Like?
Re: and here's the problem
In reply to PenguinPhotoCo, Jun 19, 2012

Essentially though, part time photographers using digital and therefore next to zero overheads (after buying their cheap DSLR's etc) have played a major role in the destruction of the photography industry. Back when I was using film, there were part time photographers, but it was much different to now.

When you consider the history of photography though, the window for making a great living out of it was very short lived. The first image was made in 1826 and became a viable process by 1839. Then of course it took a while before it became accessible to more than just a select group, and ultimately, with Oscar Barnack's Leica, it transformed into a tool flexible enough to take image making to the masses.

So I think really, the period from the 1970's to about 2008 represented the best time frame for making decent bucks out of photography. I started in the early 1990s and in my career, the period between 2002 and 2008 really stood out. My early uptake of digital resulted in a huge reduction in overheads and the ability to sell a lot more images. It was fantastic.

However, photography has evolved to the next phase, and, I love it more than ever. Just can't see myself working in the industry any longer...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow