lens recomendation

Started Jun 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,657Gear list
Like?
Re: lens recomendation
In reply to gaspipe1, Jun 19, 2012

I have over 100 lenses, but the kit zoom is surprisingly usable for nearly everything.

However, for kids portraits a "fast 50" is nice -- pretty much any fast 50.

For performances, the big question is in what venue/where do you sit? My daughter has had a lot of dance recitals in a real opera house, which has me sitting fairly far away (in the balcony) but the stage is well lit. About 70mm fits the action on stage there, and your typical 70-XXX zoom does fine. When she's been in plays, however, I'm usually sitting no more than 5 feet in front of the action, so something in the 10-20mm range works better and the lighting is quite dim.

For example, you can probably get a Minolta Rokkor 50mm f/1.7, Minolta MC/MD mount Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/3.5, and MD-to-E adapter for about $80 total on eBay. The Rokkor isn't the sharpest 50, but has very good bokeh for portraits. The Vivitar is huge, but cheap and fast with decent IQ. Both these lenses are commonly available on eBay. Cheap enough to try without much regret....

gaspipe1 wrote:

I think the real issue is that I do need something that will allow more reach. I'm not sure if a 85mm would allow me closeups of a child at 30 yards away. But thank you for bringing to my attention the speed issue of indoors. That would def. be an problem.

Closeups at 30 yards away? Yikes. You realize you're talking > 500mm, right? Remember that NEX doesn't have sensor-shift anti-shake, so really long lenses are tough to hold still... maybe with a monopod...?

I definitely think you need to really check what circumstances you'll be dealing with.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow