ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
talyllyn
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
New NEX-7 user, need recommendations on landscape lens
Jun 19, 2012

Hi all,

I just purchased my NEX-7 and am getting up to speed on digital photography. The last time I did photography was about 15 years ago in a darkroom. Of course, I was also a poor student then so didn't have the greatest lenses.

Anyways, we are taking a big trip this fall to Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde cliff dwellings, etc. I have been reading and re-reading the forums and trying to decide on which lens would be best for these spectacular landscapes. I am willing to splurge but don't want to make the wrong choice since I can really only splurge on one lens right now. All I have is the kit lens (18-55).

I am torn between several options, mostly because I can't figure out what is more important, the wide angle or quality. Options include:

• Sony 16mm f2.8 with the ultra wide converter because of the width, but some like it and some criticize it.

• the Sigma 8-16mm (a-mount) with the LA-EA2 adaptor, but of course it's pretty bulky (maybe ok since I'll likely be on a tripod).

• the Sigma 19mm prime (e-mount) because of the good reviews, but focal length is no different than the kit

• The Zeiss 24mm -- is it better to have the high quality than the wide angle

I would like to get the lens so I can practice before our trip, so I'd appreciate your expertise since I'm new to this and going round and round.

Thank you so much.

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow