What is a good upgrade from the D90?

Started Jun 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
fireplace33
Senior MemberPosts: 1,219Gear list
Like?
d90 has more pixels than D600 in DX mode?
In reply to Jabloko, Jun 18, 2012

Am I getting this right?

The area of an FX sensor is 2.25 x more than a DX sensor (36 x 24mm vs. 24 x 16 mm)

So, if the new FX/DX “D600” camera has about 24.7M pixels and is used in DX mode then it will have about 11M pixel covering that DX field of view.

And, my “old” D90 with its 12.3M pixels has 12% more pixels than the new D600 when used with my DX only lenses?

I know pixel count is not everything,… probably, if I upgraded to this new D600 sometime in the future, with all its other advantages I can easily live with the slight pixel count reduction in DX mode. And of course, If there are less pixels then each one must be slightly bigger and so a bit more sensitive which makes the noise generally less.

The resolution loss won't be that significant, I hope

...and if I want more pixels I'll just have to use my FX lenses... but then that doesn't get me back to the D90 resolution?

fireplace33's gear list:fireplace33's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow