Started Jun 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rssarma
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,400Gear list
Like?
First shots, GH2 + 14-140mm [2 Colour + 1 B&W]
Jun 18, 2012

I was a long time 4/3s user before I made the switch to Nikon FF, which I continue to use for any paid work and also for my travel photography. However, I never stopped looking for a light weight alternative to the behemoth combination of the D700 + 24-120mm F/4 lens. As amazing as this combination is in terms of image quality, the weight of this combo has become very off-putting for me.

As an alternative I've been using the Fujifilm X10 which has been a pleasant surprise to me in terms of build and image quality, but it does underwhelm in certain areas especially where DoF control is concerned. As a result, I've constantly dabbled in m4/3s but somehow never settled into anything.

I've used the GH1 and recently have acquired the GH2, I also have an E-M5 on order but I doubt it would be significantly different from the GH2. The one area of concern I have with the E-M5 is the ergonomics of the camera, an are where the GH2 excels, however the Olympus will have a certain familiarity that might make it easier for me to get used to.

Having said that, I'd like to share some initial shots and impressions of the GH2. I think this camera is definitely an improvement over the GH1, better IQ right up to ISO 3200, slightly better build and of course improved resolution. However, the grain at base ISO does bother me a bit. I'm very curious to see how this stacks up against the E-M5 especially at base ISO.

For now, here are my initial pictures with the GH2 + 14-140mm lens, all C&C is appreciated.

-- hide signature --
 rssarma's gear list:rssarma's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +5 more
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow