Nikon not having 70-200 VR f4 ...Canon has

Started Jun 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
f4 Lenses
In reply to tomboy, Jun 18, 2012

Nikon has proven with kit lenses that they can produce a lens that is sharp wide open at all focal lengths. Of course, wide open is not very wide open, and the same is true of any f4 lens. The f2.8 option is the best option for zoom lenses. Of course, they are large. The weight is not a factor for most people, but discretion can be, and for that we have prime lenses that are small, light, very fast and very good.

I would not lament the absence of an f4 zoom lens for one second. If I were you I would buy some version of the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 and be done with it. As an alternative, get an 85mm and a 150mm (I have the Sigma non-OS).

There is one f4 lens I cannot do without because the f2.8 version costs nearly $6000, and that is the 300mm. The Nikon 300mm f4 is as sharp as they come, and with a TC it is a great bird lens. My 70-200 is for people and for low-light. I sometimes go to a prime in very low light, but I don't know of any low light condition where an f4 lens would do.
--
Roy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
lensNew
YupNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow